Contact Us
Bedford Daily Voice serves Bedford, Bedford Hills & Katonah
Return to your home site


Bedford Daily Voice serves Bedford, Bedford Hills & Katonah

Bedford Town Govt Aims to Be Easily Accessible

While most of us have little, if any, contact with our Town Government, there may come a time when you need to.

If you plan to put in a deck, install a new pool, add an extension to your home , have a complaint about your neighbors, or about potholes, where do you turn?

The system may seem daunting, but The Daily Bedford is here to give you some pointers about where you can best turn to for help

Let’s start with the town offices.

The Assessor’s Office is where you need to go for home and property assessments. For questions about taxes you should head to the Receiver of Taxes Office. If you are unlucky enough to have a parking ticket, head over to the Court Clerk’s Office to pay it. All of these places are conveniently located in one building-- the Town House at 321 Bedford Road.

Also in this building is the Town Clerk’s Office. The Town Clerk is a good person to know in town. This office is where you go to register to vote, get a marriage license or get a license for a new dog. It's in charge of recording births and deaths, as well as supervising elections.

There’s no denying that the Town Clerk’s Office is usually very busy, but don’t let that deter you from going to them with any questions.

“We’re always here to answer questions,” Deputy Clerk Nina Kellogg said. “I don’t think the governments even been more accessible with the World Wide Web and cell phones. There’s no reason not to be informed.” The Deputy Clerk is the person appointed by the Town Clerk.

Now that you are familiar with some of the most important offices in the town, let’s look at some of the departments and board that you may need to interact with.

The Building Department is where you call if you are planning a renovation or addition to your house, adding a fence or chopping down a tree. You might also want to check in with the Conservation Board to see if your property has any environmental constraints.

If you live along a town right-of-way become familiar with the Highway Department; they are who you will need to talk to put in a new driveway or a new fence.

The Town of Bedford puts a lot of effort in to making sure its website has important information on it, which is easy to read.

“There’s lots of wonderful information on there. There’s all kind of ways to get information,” she said.

But Kellogg realizes that all the answers aren’t online.

“If you can’t find it on the website, we do hope you call and ask. We want you to be informed,” Kellogg said.

The Town Clerk is who you should call if you don’t know where to start. They will gladly lead you in the right direction.

The Town Government may seem like a vast and confusing system, but because of their desire to be easily accessible to the public, getting what you need out of them is easier than ever.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Bedford Daily Voice!

Serves Bedford, Bedford Hills & Katonah

Get the news you need to know on the go.

Welcome to

Bedford Daily Voice!

Serves Bedford, Bedford Hills & Katonah

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.