WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- Westchester soccer fans were disappointed but proud as the United States men's soccer team was narrowly eliminated from 2014 World Cup by Belgium 2-1 in extra time on Tuesday.
The teams were tied 0-0 after 90 minutes until Belgium scored twice in the first 15-minute overtime session. After pulling to within a goal, the U.S. had several chances to score the tying goal but failed to do so.
"USA did a great job but couldn't get that goal when they needed it," Perry Smith of Yonkers said after the game. "We proved we could play with the tops teams and everyone was into he games."
Belgium advances to Saturday's noon EST quarterfinal against Argentina.
Fans packed Westchester bars and restaurants beginning just before the 4 p.m. start. The Prime American Grille in Hastings was filled with fans as owners Michael and John DiMiceli hosted the crowd of locals.
"Let's hope they win again," John DiMiceli said. "Everyone is focused on the game."
In White Plains, fans were buoyed by a great first half that had the Americans playing good defense.
"Win or lose, they were great," Ryan Cidce said before the game as he sat with friends at O'Connor's Public House.
- 1 5-Year-Old Boy Subject Of NY Amber Alert Is Found Dead
- 2 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Bedford
- 3 Arrest Of 'Bicycle Bandit' Ends Rash Of 15 Robberies In Westchester
- 4 Probability Of A White Christmas Is Low In Bedford
- 5 Westchester Political, Business Leaders Applaud State Casino Decision