Fox Lane senior Sam Speno wrestled back to finish in sixth place at 126 pounds in the 2012 FloNational Wrestling Championships at Drexel University Sunday. As a result of his top-eight finish, Speno earns all-America honors.
Speno, who advanced to the round of 16 Saturday before a loss to Maverick Passaro of Eastport/South Manor (L.I.) rebounded to win four matches Sunday. The Binghamton-bound Speno began his day with a 9-2 win over Chandler Pike (Georgia). He followed with a 6-0 victory over second-seeded Anthony Valencia (California). Speno moved into the placing round with a 3-1 triumph of C.J. Palmer (Pennsylvania). He added his second consecutive win over a Pennsylvania wrestler with a 6-3 verdict over Nick Zanetta.
In the consolation semifinals, Speno met up with Passaro once again. Passaro, who decisioned Speno 2-1 in the 2012 New York State Division I 126-pound final, posted his second win over Speno, 7-4, in the Flo Nationals.
Tyler Berger (Oregon) decisioned Speno, 7-5, in the fifth-place match.
- 1 Actor/Director Charged With Possession Of Child Porn, Westchester DA Says
- 2 Drenching Thunderstorms Headed To Bedford
- 3 Hillary Clinton Gets Health OK From Mount Kisco Medical Group Physician
- 4 Marijuana License Awarded To Katonah-Based Etain
- 5 10 License Violators In Westchester Fined By State Liquor Authority