BEDFORD, N.Y. – Following a loss in his second match at the Lindenwood University Wrestling Tournament, Illinois red-shirt freshman Steven Rodrigues went on a tear.
Rodrigues, a Fox Lane graduate, won six consecutive matches in the consolation round to finish third in the 141-pound weight class Saturday.
Rodrigues received a bye in the first round, then secured a 20-5 technical fall against Steven Bradtmueller of McKendree. Joshua Myers of Ouachita defeated Rodrigues, 8-6, in a second-round match, sending the Illini wrestler to the consolation bracket.
The road to third place began with a pin of Missouri’s Tony DeAngelo at 6:32. Rodrigues eliminated the top seed, Nicholas Hucke, also of Missouri, with a 6-1 decision. Rodrigues blanked Iowa’s Connor Ryan, 5-0, decisioned Iowa’s Josh Dziewa, 9-4 and avenged the earlier loss to Myers with a 5-0 triumph, sending him into the third-place match against Julian Feokert of Oklahoma State.
Rodrigues concluded his run through the consolation bracket with a 3-1 victory. Rodrigues has placed in all three tournaments he has wrestled in this season, including a win at the Loras Open.
- 1 Bedford-Bred Upstart Draws No. 18 Post For Saturday's Kentucky Derby
- 2 Bedford Hills Teen Accused Of Defacing Historic Clock Tower
- 3 Man Going 107 MPH In Bedford Charged With Drug Possession, Police Say
- 4 Westchester DA Issues Alert About Sexual Predators Posing As Others
- 5 McDonald's Shakes Up Menu, Cuts Seven Sandwiches