BEDFORD, N.Y. – Steven Rodrigues eagerly has been waiting to make his University of Illinois wrestling debut and when he did, the Fox Lane graduate made an impact.
Rodrigues, a red-shirt freshman, went 4-0 to win the 141-pound Gold Division at the recent Loras College Open in Dubuque, Iowa.
The 2011 Fox Lane graduate and state wrestling champion registered two wins by technical fall and two by major decision, including a 12-4 verdict in the final against Gustavo Martinez of Grandview College.
Rodrigues began his college career at Rutgers before transferring to Illinois for the 2012 spring semester.
“I felt excited to finally compete in an Illinois singlet,” Rodrigues said. “It had been a long summer and fall of training. I had a good flow going when my matches started and as they progressed, my intensity increased.”
Rodrigues did not give up a takedown to his opponents.
All of the points they scored came on escapes.
“I made sure I was relentless on my attacks and stayed focused,” Rodrigues said. “It was nice to start the season on a positive by winning this tournament.”
- 1 County Police Charge Man With Having 130 Bags Of Heroin
- 2 Mount Kisco Resident Charged With $1.4M Bank Theft
- 3 IRS Warns Bedford Residents Of Phone Scam
- 4 Bedford Hills, Katonah Fire Departments Assist In Battling Somers Blaze
- 5 Driver, Witnesses Assist Police After Pedestrian Struck, Killed On Saw Mill