BEDFORD, N.Y. – Sports fans in Bedford had plenty to celebrate in the past 12 months, from deep playoff runs to section championships. Here are the top sports stories in Bedford from 2012:
Girls’ Lacrosse Wins Section Title
The top-seeded Foxes avenged a 7-6 regular season loss to Brewster with an 11-9 win in the Section 1 Class B championship game in May. The Foxes went all the way to the state semifinals before Canandaiuga Academy knocked them off, 18-8.
Fox Lane Hoops Makes A Run
The Foxes had not reached the County Center since 2004, but head coach Chris Violante led Fox Lane back to the Section 1 Class AA semifinals in the County Center in March, thanks to the strength of towering seniors Will Trawick and Dylan Peretz. Fox Lane tried for its first section championship since 2004 but fell short to Mahopac in the semifinals.
What A Comeback
Fox Lane field hockey player Liz Longo tore her anterior cruciate ligament in the spring during lacrosse season but recovered in time to return to play her favorite sport in the fall. Longo helped lead the Foxes to the Section 1 Class A quarterfinals against Mamaroneck despite suffering the injury just months earlier.
- 1 5-Year-Old Boy Subject Of NY Amber Alert Is Found Dead
- 2 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Bedford
- 3 Arrest Of 'Bicycle Bandit' Ends Rash Of 15 Robberies In Westchester
- 4 Probability Of A White Christmas Is Low In Bedford
- 5 Westchester Political, Business Leaders Applaud State Casino Decision