MT. KISCO, N.Y. – Fox Lane High School field hockey player Liz Longo is The Bedford Daily Voice Student-Athlete of the Month for November.
Longo almost did not make it onto the field this season. She suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in her right knee during girls’ lacrosse season in the spring but elected not to have surgery until after the summer.
Her doctor told her the injury had healed and allowed her to return to play field hockey.
“I really couldn’t believe it, at first,” Longo said. “I was in shock, overwhelmed and so happy to know that I would be back on the field with the team.”
Her first game was against Rye and she helped lead the Foxes to the Section 1 Class A quarterfinals, where they lost to Mamaroneck.
Fox Lane coach Melissa Heyde said the defender’s injury actually helped her in the long run.
“Her coming back from the injury was just great news for our team,” Heyde said. “She just came back with a vengeance this year and played some of the best field hockey she’s ever played. I think having that injury just gave her so much more drive.”
- 1 Presidential Run Puts Spotlight On Trump's Bedford Estate
- 2 Police Corral 90-Pound Alligator Crossing Street In New York City
- 3 Catherine Zeta-Jones Seeks Apartment Conversion At Estate In Bedford Hills
- 4 Outside Clinton Home, Astorino Seeks Hillary's Take On Affordable Housing
- 5 Bedford Home To Bedford, Bedford Hills, Bedford Corners