BEDFORD HILLS, N.Y. -- Building inspectors found multiple violations at a multi-family home where 30 Bedford Hills residents were left homeless after their home was deemed uninhabitable Sunday night when a busted boiler caused carbon monoxide to spread throughout the building.
Chief Building Inspector Alberto Ciraco said building and code officials found numerous violations during a visit on Monday including electrical and plumbing violations, as well as beds in rooms that are not considered bedrooms.
In addition, there were no smoke or carbon monoxide alarms as required by law, he said.
"The owner is working on the violations in an effort to get the residents back into their apartments as quickly as possible," Ciraco said.
When fire officials arrived at the home, located at 201 Babbitt Road, they found more than 40 people living in 10 apartments. Three people were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning following the event, police said.
Code officials plan to revisit the home Tuesday to check on the progress of the work to ensure that everything is repaired correctly, Ciraco said.
"Everything will have to check out before the families are allowed to return," he added.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.