BEDFORD HILLS, N.Y. ‒ Employees and patrons at 132 Green Lane had to be evacuated Tuesday morning due to a gas leak, according to Bedford Police.
The leak started when a worker digging a drainage ditch for Palotta Lawn Irrigation, a tenant on the shopping center property, ruptured a gas line, Police Lt. Jeff Dickan said.
The Bedford Hills company had not notified Con Edison, which owns the line, or the Bedford Building Department of its plans, contrary to protocol for this kind of work, police said.
Bedford Police were notified of the leak around 10:12 a.m. Con Edison and the Bedford Hills Fire Department responded, along with a representative of the Building Department.
Officials evacuated a section of the shopping center until the leak could be controlled, police said. After Con Ed workers shut off the gas, occupants of the building were able to return, police said.
- 1 Michael Douglas, Catherine Zeta-Jones Purchase New Bedford Home
- 2 Bedford's First Snowfall Of Season Could Arrive Over Weekend
- 3 Costumed Kids, Adults Pack Halloween Parade In Katonah
- 4 Superstorm Sandy Was Not The 'Big One,' So Bedford Must Prepare
- 5 Katonah Fire Dept. Battles Blaze That Destroys Goldens Bridge Home