BEDFORD, N.Y. — Vandals destroyed the iconic Harvey School sign at the entrance of the Katonah private school, according to Bedford police.
The school, at 260 Jay St., called police Jan. 4 to report the damage, police said. The vandalism occurred between 4:30 p.m. Jan. 3 and 6:30 a.m. Jan. 4, police said.
The plastic sign was ripped from its post and broken into pieces, the school groundskeeper told police. Damage was estimated at $1,200, police said.
Police continued to investigate the vandalism.
The following was also reported in this week's Bedford Police blotter:
• A mailbox at a house on Katonah's Lakeside Drive was damaged by explosives, according to Bedford police. A large Roman candle-type of firework was placed inside it, police said. According to the home's residents, the mischief occurred between 9 p.m. Jan. 3 and 9 p.m. Jan. 4. It caused about $100 in damages, police said.
• An 18-year-old man from Pound Ridge stopped for allegedly speeding South Bedford Road in Bedford was charged with marijuana possession at about 1:20 a.m. Tuesday, police said.
The man was driving 55 mph in a 40 mph zone, police said. When the driver pulled over, the officer smelled an odor of marijuana in the car, and the driver admitted to having marijuana, police said.
He was returned to the Bedford Police station and charged with speeding, a traffic infraction, and unlawful possession of marijuana, a violation. He was released on his own recognizance and will return to the Town of Bedford Court on Jan. 24.
• A 60-year-old Katonah woman was cheated out of $2,000 by a scammer, according to Bedford police. Between Dec. 7 and Dec. 31, the woman rented her property in Long Island to a buyer, who sent her a check for a larger amount than the asking price, police said.
The buyer instructed the woman to wire back $2,600 to an address in Ukraine, so she sent $2,000 using the CVS Moneygram system, police said. When the woman came back the next day to wire the last $600, a CVS employee suspected a scam, police said. The woman notified police Jan. 3, and it is under investigation.
- 1 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By Homeland Security, FBI
- 2 Police Shoot, Kill Fugitive Richard Matt; Fellow Escapee David Sweat On Run
- 3 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 4 Heavy Rain Headed To Bedford, Thunderstorms Possible
- 5 Men Shot, Killed Before Hutchinson River Parkway Crash ID'd