Contact Us
Bedford Daily Voice serves Bedford, Bedford Hills & Katonah

Menu

Bedford Daily Voice serves Bedford, Bedford Hills & Katonah
Breaking News: Saw Mill River Parkway Closures Announced
police & fire

30 Displaced By Spread Of Carbon Monoxide In Bedford Hills

More than 40 people were left homeless after a boiler  broke, sending carbon monoxide into the residence.
More than 40 people were left homeless after a boiler broke, sending carbon monoxide into the residence. Photo Credit: Google Maps/Street View

BEDFORD HILLS, N.Y. -- More than 30 Bedford Hills residents are being helped by the Red Cross after their home was deemed uninhabitable Sunday night when a busted boiler caused carbon monoxide to spread throughout the building.

Police and fire officials first arrived on scene around 10:20 p.m. at 201 Babbitt Road after receiving a call of smoke in a building and found excessive carbon in the residence, said Bedford Hills Sgt. J. Evans.

Evans said at least 40 people were inside the multi-family home.

Several people were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning at Northern Westchester Hospital, officials said.

The house, which has been deemed unsafe until the boiler is fixed, left more than 30 people without a place to stay, said Abagail Adams, spokeswoman for the Red Cross.

"We will be helping them find housing and tracking them to make sure they are okay," Adams said.

Bedford Hills building officials are checking the home to see if there were any violations or too many people living at the home, Evans said.

Welcome to

Bedford Daily Voice!

Serves Bedford, Bedford Hills & Katonah

This is a one time message inviting you to keep in touch

Get important news about your town as it happens.