BEDFORD HILLS, N.Y. – Powerball tickets were going fast at the Bedford Hills Sunoco's A-Plus market Wednesday, as customers vied to win a record jackpot $500 million.
While at the shop to pick up her usual lottery ticket choices, Christa Spadino of Bedford Hills threw in two Powerball games. If she won the grand prize, she said, "I'd donate a lot to charity," like homeless shelters, nursing homes, orphanages, animal shelters and to cancer research.
Spadino said she once won a $100,000 prize playing "Spectacular," another lottery game that can be purchased at convenience stores.
Sunoco cashier Singh Mohinder said demand was high and customers were keeping him busy distributing ticket after ticket for the popular game, which is played in 42 states, Washington, D.C., and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
"I can't move from over here. I've been here at this same spot," said Mohinder, motioning to the front counter area. Almost every other person who came in Wednesday wanted to buy a Powerball ticket, he said.
Before Wednesday's $500 million jackpot, the highest previous Powerball prize was in 2006: ConAgra Foods workers in Lincoln, Neb. won $365 million.
All tickets for Wednesday's drawing, which may even continue to increase, must purchased by 8:59 p.m. Wednesday.
- 1 Bedford Could See Significant Snowfall, Ice From Coastal Storm
- 2 Winter Weather Advisory In Effect For Bedford
- 3 Bigger Storm Could Be Coming Soon After Westchester Sees 6-8 Inches Of Snow
- 4 Accidents Reported On Saw Mill, Hutchinson River, Taconic State Parkways
- 5 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward Bedford, Blizzard Watch Issued