BEDFORD, N.Y. ‒ An autopsy performed by the Westchester Medical Examiner's Office Thursday confirmed the cause of Mary Richardson Kennedy's death to be asphyxiation by hanging.
Bedford police found the body of Kennedy, 52, the estranged wife of Robert F. Kennedy Jr., son of the late U.S. senator and nephew of the late president, in an outbuilding of her Bedford home Wednesday.
Bedford police officially confirmed the body as Mary Kennedy's at 11:39 a.m. Thursday.
Mary Kennedy was a graduate of Brown University and an architectural designer who was an advocate of environmentally sustainable housing. It was reported that she struggled with alcohol issues and was going through trouble in her marriage.
Her husband filed a matrimonial action against her on May 12, 2010, three days before she was charged with driving while intoxicated in Bedford.
In August 2010, according to published reports at the time, she was arrested while speeding on the Taconic State Parkway in Dutchess County and charged with driving under the influence of prescription drugs. That charge was later dismissed by a Pleasant Valley town justice.
- 1 Michael Douglas, Catherine Zeta-Jones Purchase New Bedford Home
- 2 Bedford's First Snowfall Of Season Could Arrive Over Weekend
- 3 Costumed Kids, Adults Pack Halloween Parade In Katonah
- 4 Motorcyclist, 29, Killed In Taconic State Parkway Crash Is ID'd
- 5 NASA Rocket Launch May Be Visible To Bedford Residents