KATONAH, N.Y. -- Caramoor Center for Music and the Arts announced a $20,000 grant awarded by First Niagara Foundation.
These funds are designated to support the Underserved Youth Education Program and Patron Transportation Pilot Program. Both initiatives are geared to provide individuals of all ages with affordable means of transportation to Caramoor, making it possible for them access Caramoor’s programming.
Through its Underserved Youth Arts Initiative, Caramoor provides access to its engaging, hands- on education programs to 3,000 local children, with a focus on the Yonkers Public School District. The initiative includes scheduling priority, fee reductions or waivers, and transportation underwriting. The program will take place throughout the 2016-2017 academic years with 30 program days running through mid-June 2017.
The objectives of the initiative include:
- Promoting accessibility for schoolchildren from underserved school districts by waiving or reducing program fees, providing transportation underwriting, and maintaining scheduling priority.
- Providing schoolchildren with cultural enrichment opportunities that comply with New York State curriculum requirements.
- Utilizing Caramoor’s 90-acre campus, historic Rosen House, and visiting artist-educators to provide unique and engaging educational experiences for schoolchildren.
- Working collaboratively with teachers to ensure that each program is appropriately adapted to respond to the unique needs of the participating schoolchildren. Caramoor’s music season caters to a wide array of audiences from upstate New York, metro area bedroom commuters, students, and retired professionals living within a 50-mile radius. As part of our mission to make music accessible, we are offering free transportation to Caramoor from Katonah's Metro-North station for all performances (June 18 – August 7). The objectives of the Patron Transportation Pilot Program include:
- Expanding Caramoor’s reach beyond the drive-able confines of Westchester, Putnam & Fairfield counties.
- Providing accessibility to NYC-based audience and Metro-North- dependent travelers.
- Providing an additional element of convenience, accessibility, and safety to our guests, especially those driving after dark.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.