BEDFORD, N.Y. -- As 2012 draws to a close, The Bedford Daily Voice is recapping some of the biggest stories of the year. In case you missed them, here is a summary:
- After months of meetings with Mount Kisco officials, Northern Westchester Hospital received final approval in March for its 450-spot parking garage project, which will address the hospital's parking overflow issues. The hospital began construction in November, and hospital officials hope to complete the project by June.
- Estranged wife of Robert F. Kennedy Jr. Mary Kennedy was discovered having hung herself in a barn on her property in Bedford. The late Kennedy was active in the Bedford and Mount Kisco communities.
- Students and parents started a petition in January when Fox Lane High School girls' basketball coach Ayo Hart was abruptly let go from her job with the Bedford Central School System.
- Local fans cheered on Bedford musician Collin McLoughlin when he landed a spot on the third season of NBC's "The Voice."
- In late October, Hurricane Sandy battered Bedford along with the rest of the East Coast, causing massive damage and sparking power outages that lasted almost two weeks in some cases.
- In the Nov. 6 election, Bedford attorney David Menken took the office of Bedford Town Justice in a special election held after the death of Justice Kevin Quaranta in July. In October, the town planted a memorial tree in the late justice's honor.
- Bedford Department of Public Works employee Frank Zipp was laid off due to 2012 budget cuts, but regained his old job in February when another worker retired due to disability. Zipp and custodian Kevin Carroll were the first town employees in Bedford's history to be laid off due to budget cuts.
- This October, Pound Ridge resident Deborah Healy-Sedlitz was struck and killed by a car as she crossed the street in front of Bedford's TRUCK restaurant.
- Country music star Taylor Swift was spotted this summer at Marcella's Pizza in Mount Kisco on the arm of Bedford resident Conor Kennedy. The two enjoyed a summer fling this year, and it was reported Swift even accompanied Kennedy to his mother Mary Kennedy's grave near the Kennedy compound in Hyannis Port, Mass.ss.
- Budget cuts pushed the Bedford Central School District to outsource all their transportation needs to Towne Bus Corp, a contractor, a move projected to save $4.7 million in five years. The 2012-2013 school budget saw the loss of 37 transportation workers out of 55 overall layoffs.
- A home on Broad Brook Road in Bedford was burglarized in May, and days later, the family's barn was burned to the ground. The suspect later called for a ransom of $1 million for each of the family's three children. Bartek Zajkowski, 22, of Queens, was charged with the crime in September.
- 1 Bedford Planning Board Meeting On Home Proposal Lasts Until Nearly 2 A.M.
- 2 Two Westchester Private Schools Rank Among 'Smartest' In Nation
- 3 South Salem Man Charged With Assault, Robbery After Beating Victim
- 4 Bedford's Conservation Board Weighs In On 79-Home Proposal
- 5 Snow Could Be Returning To Bedford