BEDFORD, N.Y. – Here is some up-to-the-minute information about emergency procedures in Bedford as Hurricane Sandy heads for the Northeast:
- Find a wireless location by going to Optimum and plugging in "Bedford."
- An emergency shelter will be set up at the Bedford HiIls Fire Department at 332 Bedford Road.
- All Recreation and Parks Department programs scheduled for Monday are canceled.
- Kelloggs and Lawrence General Store at 26 Parkway in Katonah will be selling rechargable Coleman Lanterns, kerosene, 9V - AA and AAA batteries, small flashlights, tub stoppers, coolers, fire starters, matches, firewood, Old Farmer's Almanacs and plastic tarps. The store will be open until 6 p.m. Monday and from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday and will remain open even if power is lost.
- The Katonah Village Library, Bedford Hills Free Library and Bedford Free Library are closed Monday.
- The Canine Commons Dog area located at Beaver Dam Park and the Bedford Hills, Katonah and Bedford Village Memorial Parks will be closed until further notice.
- All Katonah Memorial Park trails will be closed until further notice. Residents are advised to stay off the trails during the storm as high winds may result in trees coming down and large tree limbs breaking off and falling on the trails.
- For electricity emergencies or to report power interruptions, NYSEG customer should call 1 (800) 572-1131. For natural gas emergencies or to report suspected natural gas odors, call NYSEG at 1 (800) 572-1121
- Con Edison customers can call 1 (800)-75-CONED to report power outages.
- Residents are advised to operate emergency generators only according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Never run them indoors or in a garage. Operate only outdoors in well-ventilated areas, away from windows and doors.
- If any resident uses electrically powered life-sustaining equipment, call 1 (800) 572-1111 to register in the critical customer program.
- Residents should turn off major appliances to avoid overloading when power returns and are reminded to stay out of flooded basements until an electrician can be summoned.
- The Westchester County Emergency Services Center can be reached at (914) 231-1900.
- Residents looking for more non-emergency information should call United Way’s 2-1-1 helpline which offers information about shelters, evacuation routes, road closures, recovery services and power outages. The line is available from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., seven days a week with expanded hours possible during emergencies.
- The Bedford Central School District, the Katonah-Lewisboro School District, The Rippowam Cisqua School, and The Harvey School al are closed Monday and Tuesday.
Stay with The Bedford Daily Voice for updates on Hurricane Sandy.