BEDFORD, N.Y. -- The Bedford Police Department released a list of tips to keep kids safe while out trick-or-treating this Halloween.
Tips include the following:
- Have older children trick-or-treat with friends.
- Have younger children accompanied by a trusted adult.
- Have children only approach homes that are well-lit both inside and outside.
- Teach children to never approach a vehicle, even if it appears to be empty.
- Make sure children wear reflective and flame- resistant clothing.
- Have children carry a flashlight or glow stick after sunset.
- Teach children to stay in well-lit areas at all times, not to take short cuts and avoid isolated areas.
- Teach children to stay alert to suspicious activities and have them report anything to parents or law enforcement.
- Teach children to draw attention to themselves if they are being taken by someone they don't know by yelling, screaming, kicking or otherwise resisting.
- Consider parties at home, schools or community centers as an alternative to trick or treating.