BEDFORD, N.Y. -- Happy Birthday to Bedford’s Rooney Mara!
Patricia Rooney Mara, who was born in Bedford, turns 29 on Thursday.
Mara, an actress who first garnered attention in the Academy Award-winning film, "The Social Network," was born April 17, 1985.
She rose to prominence starring as Lisbeth Salander, the title character in the American version of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," based on Stieg Larsson's "Millennium" book series. For her performance in the film, she received critical acclaim and was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actress and a Golden Globe Award for Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama.
Mara is also known for her charity work and oversees the charity Uweza Foundation, which supports empowerment programs for children and families in the Kibera slum in Nairobi, Kenya, one of the largest slums in Africa.
Mara is the sister of Kate Mara, a star of Netflix's "House of Cards," and the niece of John Mara, the president, CEO and co-owner of the New York Giants.
- 1 Westchester Communities Rank High Among Nation's Best Suburbs
- 2 Westchester Legislator Who Represents Bedford To Resign
- 3 Bedford Central Voters Approve School Budget, Elect Sheerin
- 4 Deer Defense Group Sues Westchester County To Halt Hunting Plans
- 5 Mount Kisco Bank Teller Pleads Guilty To Stealing $1.4M