BEDFORD, N.Y. -- Happy Birthday to Bedford’s Richard Gere!
Richard Tiffany Gere, a long time Bedford resident, turns 65 on Sunday.
Gere, an actor, was born Aug. 31, 1949 in Philadelphia, Pa. He began acting in the 1970s, playing a supporting role in :Looking for Mr. Goodbar," and a starring role in "Days of Heaven." He came to prominence in 1980 for his role in the film "American Gigolo," which established him as a leading man and a sex symbol. He went on to star in several hit films, including "An Officer and a Gentleman," "Pretty Woman," "Primal Fear," "Runaway Bride," "Arbitrage," and "Chicago," for which he won a Golden Globe Award as Best Actor, as well as a Screen Actors Guild Award as part of the Best Cast.
In 1995 he was the president of the Jury at the 19th Moscow International Film Festival. On May 17, 2012, Albanian President, Bamir Topi awarded the "Medal of Gratitude" to him. On Feb. 16, 2012, George Eastman House International Museum for Photography and Film honored Gere with the George Eastman Award for distinguished contribution to the art of film.
- 1 Broadway Producer's Westchester Home Hits Market For $29.5M
- 2 Maintenance Work Results In I-684 Lane Closures
- 3 Mother Of Croton Child Who Died Upgraded To Serious Condition
- 4 Nearly 1M Bicycles Recalled After Rider Is Paralyzed
- 5 Police Seeking Public's Help In Search For Missing Greenwich Teenage Girl