BEDFORD, N.Y. -- Happy Birthday to Bedford’s Lars Sven "Lasse" Hallström.
Hallström, a Bedford resident, turns 68 on Monday.
Hallström, a film director and screenwriter, was born June 2, 1946, in Stockholm, Sweden. Hallström learned his craft making music videos, in particular for the group ABBA. Since the international success of "My Life as a Dog" (1985), for which he was nominated for Academy Awards for writing and directing, Hallström reached his greatest level of prominence when he was nominated for an Academy Award for best director for the critically acclaimed movie "The Cider House Rules" (1999) and later directed the well-received film "Chocolat" (2000), both of which were nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture.
His 2012 film, "The Hypnotist," was selected as the Swedish entry for the Best Foreign Language Oscar at the 85th Academy Awards, but it did not make the final short list. He is set to direct Walt Disney's "The Hundred-Foot Journey," which will have a release date of Aug. 8. Almost all of ABBA's promotional films were directed and shot by Hallström, with only seven exceptions. In 1999, Hallström directed the music video for Northern Line's debut single "Run for Your Life."
- 1 Bedford Planning Board Meeting On Home Proposal Lasts Until Nearly 2 A.M.
- 2 Two Westchester Private Schools Rank Among 'Smartest' In Nation
- 3 Bedford's Conservation Board Weighs In On 79-Home Proposal
- 4 Snow Could Be Returning To Bedford
- 5 Daughters Of Edgemont Driver Of SUV In Fatal Crash Will Be On 'Today' Show