WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- Tropical Storm Arthur's wind and rain are posing a threat to Fourth of July weekend festivities. While they may be rescheduled, here are five of the biggest ways to celebrate the red, white and blue in Westchester this holiday weekend -- weather permitting, of course.
1. John Jay Homestead's Independence Day Fair in Katonah on Friday, July 4 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Listen to a reading of the Declaration of Independence, play colonial games, learn about sheep herding, beekeeping, and watch a blacksmith demonstration. There will be crafts, hayrides, live music, and other activities for the whole family. Free. 400 Route 22.
2. Cross County's Summer Fest in Yonkers on Thursday, July 3 at 6 p.m.
The SummerFest fireworks show begins at 6 p.m. on Thursday, July 3 at the Cross Country Shopping Center, 8000 Mall Walk. The NYC Swing Band begins at 7 p.m. with the fireworks at 9:30 p.m.
3. Blessing of the Fleet in Mamaroneck on Friday, July 4 at noon.
The blessing of the fleet is a centuries-old tradition where the clergy would bless the fishing boats in hopes of a safe and bountiful fishing season. Flotilla 75 of the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary carries on this tradition for recreational boaters. Mamaroneck Harbor.
4. Valhalla's Kensico Dam Music Fest and Fieworks on Thursday, July 3 from 6 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
The Kensico Dam Music Fest and Fireworks starts at 6 p.m. at the Kensico Dam Plaza at the north end of the Bronx River Parkway. Pre-concert entertainment begins at 6 p.m. and the Stolen Moments Band takes the stage at 8 p.m.; fireworks will follow at approximately 9:15 p.m. Admission and parking are free.
5. Independence Day at Rye Playland on Friday, July 4 all day.
Enjoy carnival rides during the day and a fireworks show choreographed to music after dark. The fireworks are set for 9:30 p.m. Fifteen-minute fireworks shows are held every Wednesday and Friday at 9:15 p.m. from the Fourth of July through Labor Day. 100 Playland Pkwy.
I'm sure we missed some great events. Let us know where you'll be heading and why in the comments below.
- 1 Pleasantville Teen Is Sentenced In Crash That Killed Three
- 2 Woman Spits At, Kicks Westchester Officers During DWI Arrest, Say Police
- 3 Thieves Stole Personal Data From 104,000 Taxpayers, IRS Says
- 4 Bear Drops In At Backyard, Country Club In Greenwich
- 5 Sandra Lee Returns Home To New Castle After Double Mastectomy